Last winter, a hockey pal gave me a loaf of banana bread as a thank you for being a welcoming presence around the rink and in our adult Learn to Play hockey class:
It was delicious! Angie kindly gave me her original recipe, which I tweaked to get in a little more whole wheat & fiber. Plus, I added nuts. Lots of nuts.
Now, when I need a healthy, yummy snack to go with my post-skate chocolate milk, I reach for a slice of this banana nut bread and am grateful for rink-buddies & the chance to play the best game on Earth.
Angie's Best Banana Bread
- 3 eggs
- 1 C Canola oil
- 1 1/2 C sugar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 C whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 C ground flaxseed meal
- 1 2/3 C all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 5 ripe bananas, mashed (about 2 C)
- up to 2 C chopped nuts
1. Preheat oven to 325F degrees. Grease & flour 2 loaf pans.
2. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, sugar, oil & vanilla.
3. In a 2nd bowl, combine dry ingredients.
4. Add dry to wet ingredients & mix well. Fold in bananas & optional nuts.
5. Pour into prepared pans & bake 60-70 minutes.
6. Remove from oven when fully baked in the center. Cool 5 minutes then remove from pans & allow to cool fully on wire rack.