I got tagged on Facebook.
I decided to play along for a change and write up this list… which turned out to be more fun than I expected.
So here it is:
1. I ignore almost 100% of chain emails and messages (this is the first one I have ever responded to!)… and won’t be offended if you don’t respond back.
2. I have a tattoo: a celtic spiral on my right hip.
3. I have quite a sweet tooth… and the cavities and crowns to prove it.
4. I worked for 4 summers in a salmon cannery in Bristol Bay, Alaska.
5. I think it is valuable to have worked such a crappy job… it’s a great base-line comparison for the rest of my life.
6. Working at that cannery made waitressing on Lanai seem like heaven!
7. My best job ever was a volunteer dog mushing gig in Denali National Park.
8. I met my husband scooping poop at the Denali Park Kennels.
9. We lived several years in a 16′ x 18′ single room cabin, without electricity, running water or telephone.
10. In winter and spring, the closest we could park was 2 miles away, so we’d ski, skijor or hike in & out.
11. I really loved living in that cabin, and never minded using the outhouse, even in negative 40F weather.
12. I was pretty clutzy growing up, and spilled my milk at the dinner table nearly every night until I was about 14.
13. I am fluent in German, having lived a year (after high school, before college) on exchange in southern Germany.
15. I can say: “hello”, “beautiful”, “delicious” and “thank you” in Thai, having traveled there alone for two months one winter.
16. While in Thailand, I attended a meditation retreat, where I didn’t read, write or speak for the entire 10 days.
17. I can say: “hello”, “beloved”, “hurry up!”, and “I don’t like you, you’re ugly” in Tagalog, which I learned from a sweet little fillipina grandmother at the salmon cannery.
18. I studied Italian one year in college, but the only phrase I remember is: “I studied Italian in college, but I don’t remember what I learned.”
19. When I was in the 5th grade, I had to take speech therapy classes, because I was talking too fast.
20. I am an avid hockey nut: I play about 6-8 hours a week, and am a vociferous, loyal fan of the Dartmouth Women’s Hockey team.
21. I’m not much into regular girl things, like clothes, make-up or fancy hair, but I do like to paint my toenails in the summer.
22. Despite being a bit of a tomboy, I make half my living as a fiber-artist, knitting, felting, sewing and embroidering warm winter hats.
23. I don’t have to look while knitting, and enjoy spectator activities (concerts, hockey games, movies) best if I am knitting at the same time.
24. I love old-time banjo music, and really only tolerate bluegrass.
25. I was adopted as a baby, and have recently been reunited with my birth father and his family… I finally look like somebody else!😉